The Virginia Art Therapy Association
The Virginia Art Therapy Association (VATA) is an organization of professionals dedicated to the belief that the creative process involved in art making is healing and life enhancing. Its purpose is to serve its members and the general public by providing standards of professional competence, and developing and promoting knowledge in, and of, the field of art therapy. VATA is a statewide, non-profit association representing professional art therapists and art therapy students across the state. An Executive Board, elected by the membership to promote art therapy at the local level, governs VATA . The Virginia Art Therapy Association is an affiliate of the American Art Therapy Association, which promotes art therapy at the national level.
VATA promotes the therapeutic use of art by:
● Encouraging the highest quality of art therapy services to the public.
● Facilitating communication among members and colleagues.
● Supporting legislative efforts at the state levels.
● Disseminating information to the general public, art therapists, and related mental health professionals.
● Recognizing excellence in clinical, professional, educational, and research activities.
Meetings & Educational Opportunities
● Quarterly VATA Community Meetings.
● Annual Membership Meeting and Juried Art Exhibition
● Yearly conferences and/or Regional Symposia
● Continuing education opportunities through workshops, professional trainings, conferences, symposia, and/or peer supervision.
● Student and Professional Member Scholarships for continued educational and professional development in the field of art therapy.