The Virginia Art Therapy Association
The Virginia Art Therapy Association (VATA) is an organization of professionals dedicated to the belief that the creative process involved in art making is healing and life enhancing. Its purpose is to serve its members and the general public by providing standards of professional competence, and developing and promoting knowledge in, and of, the field of art therapy. VATA is a statewide, non-profit association representing professional art therapists and art therapy students across the state. An Executive Board, elected by the membership to promote art therapy at the local level, governs VATA . The Virginia Art Therapy Association is an affiliate of the American Art Therapy Association, which promotes art therapy at the national level.
VATA promotes the therapeutic use of art by:
● Encouraging the highest quality of art therapy services to the public.
● Facilitating communication among members and colleagues.
● Supporting legislative efforts at the state levels.
● Disseminating information to the general public, art therapists, and related mental health professionals.
● Recognizing excellence in clinical, professional, educational, and research activities.
Meetings & Educational Opportunities
● Quarterly VATA Community Meetings.
● Annual Membership Meeting and Juried Art Exhibition
● Yearly conferences and/or Regional Symposia
● Continuing education opportunities through workshops, professional trainings, conferences, symposia, and/or peer supervision.
● Student and Professional Member Scholarships for continued educational and professional development in the field of art therapy.
VATA Members & Non-members
Creative Arts Therapy Week Kickoff Event
In Partnership with Eastern Virginia Medical School
DAILY CONTESTS ON OUR INSTAGRAM
@vaarttherapy MARCH 15-19
VATA Informational for Art Therapy Students
Monday, March 15 at 6:30pm via Google Meet
VATA will host a virtual informational event for current or prospective Art Therapy students in Virginia. Event will include basic information about VATA and a Q &A session for students.
Virginia Art Therapy Licensure Update:
From the Virginia Board of Counseling January 2021 Newsletter:
REGULATIONS GOVERNING THE LICENSURE OF ART THERAPISTS
Chapter 301 of the 2020 General Assembly requires the Board to promulgate regulations governing the practice of art therapy. The Code specifies the credential the Board will consider as qualification for licensure as an art therapist and as an art therapy associate. The Board will adopt additional requirements similar to other licensed professions for a fee structure, renewal or reinstatement, continuing competency, supervision of persons in training, and standards of practice.
The Board adopted the NOIRA at its November 6, 2020 meeting. The Office of the Governor is currently reviewing the NOIRA. Please note the regulatory process can take 18 to 24 months to complete. As such, it will be awhile before the Board begins issuing licenses to art therapists.
Please keep informed by registering on Townhall and visiting the Board of Counseling website for updates. NEWLY APPOINTED
ADVISORY BOARD ON ART THERAPY
The Governor appointed the following persons to the Advisor Board on Art Therapy, that falls under the Board of Counseling:
Brenda Bonuccelli, LCSW
Gretchen Graves, MS, ATR-BC, CDATA,
Chair Elizabeth Anne Mills, LPC, ATR-BC,
Vice-Chair Lelia Saadeh, LPC, ATR-BC
VIEW THE ENTIRE NEWSLETTER BY CLICKING HERE