Strategic Plan 2021-2025
Statement of Purpose: “VATA's mission is to serve its members and the general public by providing standards of professional competence, and developing and promoting knowledge in, and of, the field of art therapy.”
Core Priority Areas:
GOAL 1: Grow and maintain a diverse, professional network of art therapists and other health care professionals throughout the state of Virginia.
GOAL 2. Promote and enhance the clinical and professional competence of chapter members through networking, by offering learning opportunities, and encouraging leadership within the organization and communities throughout Virginia
GOAL 3. Support the community by providing education about the profession of art therapy and will support community partners by partnering with organizations whose purposes align with the mission/ values of the Virginia Art Therapy Association.
GOAL 4. Continue to support public policy/legislation that will improve access of art therapy services to residents of Virginia, and promote jobs in the state for art therapists. This includes supporting public policy/legislation that promotes impacts those we serve.
GOAL 5: Preserve and maintain the history and financial integrity of the Virginia Art Therapy Association.
In 2022, The Virginia Art Therapy Association will:
1. Promote growth and diversity in membership by
- Reaching out and connecting with art therapists across the state of Virginia
- Offering a "Community Patron" level membership for non- art therapists that wish to promote the field - Introducing a new scholarship, "VATA ATCBE/NCMHC Examination Scholarship"
- Focusing on student members and student member programming for member retention upon graduation
2. Promote clinical and professional competence of members by
- Hosting or co-sponsoring Professional Development Events for CECs
- Hosting Biannual Membership Meetings
- Continuing the Annual Member Juried Art Exhibition
3. Support the Community by
- Reaching out and connecting with community partners across the state of Virginia
- Offering a "Community Patron" level membership for non- art therapists that wish to promote the field - Responding to community requests for participation at educational events
- Creating an online presence that serves to educate the community
4. Support Public Policy that will further promote the profession by
- Continuing to work with the VA Art Therapy Advisory Board in order to maintain licensure efforts
- Providing VATA representation at all Assembly of Chapter meetings and events
- Establishing a GAC that actively participates in lobby events/ encourage members to write representatives and provide resources for doing so, this committee will stay up to date and notify members of policies/ legislation that can impact the profession or those we serve
5. Preserve and maintain the history and financial integrity of the Virginia Art Therapy Association by
- Creating an annual budget that reflects the mission/ values of the organization
- Maintaining historical records of the organization, dedicating a task force of volunteers to do so
- Looking into alternative streams of income/fundraising for events/ member opportunities
- Requesting and accepting member feedback, adjusting programming or bylaws to reflect the changing needs of members